Chateau Ausone tasting dinner last night. Great fun had by all.
- The '82 was a little lacklustre given the legendary status of the vintage but pleasant enough.
- Whereas, the'85 was certainly past it's prime and a curiosity at best.
- With '86 there was a shift change in quality; much better structure and density. This is wine that still has capacity to evolve, against the backdrop of some firm tannic structure.
- '89 was prettiest wine of the night and for my palate the most enjoyable drinking right now. Elegant and delicate with plenty of nuance.
- The '98 demonstrated the dynamic shift in quality wine making under the Vaulthier regime and the superb quality of this great right bank vintage. It is a massive wine and probably shouldn't be broached for another decade but promises to be absolutely amazing when fully mature. Profound structure, dense layers of fruit and lifting acidity all bode well for a long future.
- The '00 was equally impressive as the '98 but with less emphasis on power and more on sensual texture and subtle nuance.
These were all a real treat to share all amongst wine loving friends.
The wines were accompanied by an etraordinaty array of meats and other delights from our friends at Pitt Cue, in Devonshire Square, London.