2020 Domaine de la Solitude, Chateauneuf du Pape, Cornelia Constanza, 6x750ml

2020 Domaine de la Solitude, Chateauneuf du Pape, Cornelia Constanza, 6x750ml

Availability: In stock

Case size: 6 / Bottle size: 750ml

Duty Status
From £290.00

Critics Score: 95

Publication: Jeb Dunnuck

Drinking Dates: 2022-2034

The 2020 Châteauneuf Du Pape Cornelia Constanza (100% Grenache) is another singular expression of this incredible variety that shines on all accounts. Giving up a big bouquet of mulled red cherry and strawberry fruits as well as sappy flowers and garrigue, it hits the palate with medium to full-bodied richness, a supple, pure, elegant mouthfeel, ripe, polished tannins, and one heck of a great finish. Coming from more sandy soils, it shines for its finesse and elegance and is already hard to resist. It will keep for at least 10-12 years, and probably longer.

This cuvée is a tribute to the last Princess Barberini and will delight those who love Grenache, being made solely with grapes grown in a parcel of Grenache vines over a hundred years old, situated on the slopes leading up to the “La Crau” plateau. Maceration lasts 35 days however the extraction is soft allowing for the extraction of powerful but supple tannins for which the Cornelia Constanza is known. 60% of the wine is matured in concrete tanks with the remaining 40% is foudres for 18 months. This cuvée is characterised by its great purity and really expresses the vintage and the terroir. In its youth, it offers an intense nose of cocoa and dark-fleshed fruits but with age develops notes of leather, tobacco and truffle.

Domaine de la Solitude belongs to one of the oldest families of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, with their roots in the area dating back to the 15th Century. It was in the 17th Century that Hélène Barberini, a descendant of the illustrious Tuscan family of the same name, married Claude Martin, owner of a vineyard in Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Their grandson created the first wine in the appellation “Le Vin de la Solitude” which became a symbol of quality. Eight generations later, the 100 acre contiguous estate, on the edge of the coveted La Crau plateau, is run by Florent Lançon. This is “terroir central” in the region’s classiest appellation and home to a number of prestigious “lieux-dits. The vines are special too with some of them being over 100 years old and the average age of all the vines being 50 years. All thirteen permitted grape varietals grow well in La Crau’s hospitable soil mix of sand, loam and clay but the focus at Domaine de la Solitude is on four whites – Grenache Blanc, Roussanne, Clairette and Bourboulenc and four reds – Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre and Cinsault. The vineyards are certified organic and in conversion to biodynamics. Florents aim is to use the beautiful terroir at his disposal to produce soft, balanaced wines with length, not breadth or richness which you would normally find in Châteauneuf-du-Pape.